Date: 13th April 2010 at 10:56pm
Written by:

Antony Kay and substitute Lee Novak clinched all three points for Huddersfield in the dying minutes at The Galpharm Stadium

Huddersfield had lead the game 2-0 through a penalty from Theo Robinson, after Walsall defender Mark Hughes was sent off for a foul on Jordan Rhodes on 22 minutes.

Rhodes then doubled Town’s advantage on the stroke of half time with a cooly placed shot past the helpless Gilmartin, it looked like it could be a good night and a chance to ramp up the goal difference.

However Walsall had other ideas and came out after the break and took the home crowd, players and management by surprise as they raced from two goals down to being three – two up!!

Deeney scored the first two in a four minute spell, the first was a long ball from the Walsall defence and as Smithies and Peter Clarke got themselves into a muddle, Walsall striker Deeney nipped in and scored.

Things got worse for Town as 10-man Walsall then equalised through Deeney’s second of the game, he picked up a rebounded ball, turned and shot. Goal Walsall and the game was now tied at two apiece.

Surely Town would spring into life now?

Well things would get worse before they got better.

Walsall went on to take an amazing lead in the game, coming from two – nil down to lead 3- 2 with ten men!

A corner from Walsall was not cleared by Town and substitute Alex Nicholls was the first to react with a smart drive past Alex Smithies.

Walsall must have thought they had won the game at this stage, as did many Town fans with many people streaming out of the stadium to a chorus of boo’s.

Town however were not done, and for those of you that left the game, you missed an absolutely stunning end to the game.

It took 7 minutes to get the scores back on level pegging but Antony Kay scored a header from a Pilkington corner, and just a few minutes later and deep into injury time substitute Lee Novak scored what proved to be the winning goal on a truly bizzare roller coaster of a game at the Galpharm.

The Geordie hitman netted his 12th of the season and perhaps his most important from just 12 yards out, but it was enough to send the remaining fans into raptures and the players too!

Town even had time to send Theo Robinson through on goal in the dying seconds but his chip bounced back off the top of the crossbar and into the waiting ‘Keepers arms.

Player Ratings

Smithies 5
At fault for the first goal, and had a strange night of errors and mis communication with Peter Clarke

T.Clarke 6
Fairly solid, little to do really

Heffernan 6
made some good challenges and commited going forward

Trotman 6
Conceding 3 at home is not good enough and Neal played his part in the calamity at the back

P.Clarke 5
He and Smithies must sort out their communication issue that was evident tonight

Kay 7
Made a good return in place of the injured COllins

Drinkwater 8
Played some lovely passes, and showed that he has great vision for a pass, he was helped by Kay and the fact he had more time and space as Walsall were down to 10

Roberts 7
First half – magnificent
Second half – coasted until Walsall gave Town a kick up the bum

Pilkington 6
Fairly quiet return, put in some wicked crosses when he got out wide

Rhodes 6
Took his goal well, but should have had 2 or 3 tonight, he does look tired

Robinson 7
Theo has certainly improved hugely of late, was unlucky not to have made it 5 for Town when his late chip hit the bar

Super Novak 7
Booked within 5 seconds of coming on, but went on to score the dramatic late late late late winning goal.

Follow us On Twitter

Join The Vital Debate

Bookmark and Share


3 Replies to “Super Novak To The Rescue”

  • At 2-3 I bet you were not thinking like that. Nerves are showing. Our next game is one where we could struggle. You have another home but it could be bloody hard, good luck.

Comments are closed.