Match Reports

Last gasp goal again!

Image for Last gasp goal again!

At least Town have shown some character in their last 3 away league games, but talk about keeping us on tenterhooks!

At Glanford Park last night in front of around 900 of their mightily relieved fans, Town somehow managed to conjure a last minute equaliser for the 3rd away league game in succession. Is this some sort of record? I certainly cannot remember it happening before in my 40 years as a fan.

However, this is probably the best that can be said about another sub-standard display against a lowly Scunthorpe side that for the most part was quicker to the ball and showed more desire throughout than the increasingly jaded looking Town team.

Town did have some decent spells of possession, but it has to be said without really threatening to score too often. Danny Schofield?s excellent 20+ yard drive in the 44th minute and Martin McIntosh?s levelling header from a pinpoint ?Beckham-esque? cross by substitute Michael Collins in the last minute of normal time, being the notable exceptions.

To be fair, Town probably shaded the first 15 minutes only to see it all fall apart, undone by poor defending as Peter Beagrie cut in from the left and unleashed a smart shot past Paul Rachubka?s outstretched left arm on 17 minutes. There then followed another spell of Town possession but as with most of the recent performances ? no end product. Just as it was looking as though they were destined to be behind at the break, Danny Schofield latched on to a pass from Abbott and curled the ball into the top corner to make the half time cup of tea that much more palatable for the players and fans alike.

Half-time 1-1

Scunthorpe came out in the 2nd half looking to up the tempo a little and despite a couple of half-chances for Town, most notably by Chris Brandon, generally looked the most likely side to score a decisive goal.

They won a flurry of corners, not exactly confidently dealt with by the overworked Town defence and it just seemed to be a matter of time before the inevitable happened.

And so it proved. From a similar position to Beagrie when he scored his first half opener, Andy Keogh clipped a shot, somewhat fortuitously off the head of Martin McIntosh and over Rachubka into the net for what looked to be, for a lengthy spell anyway, the crucial goal.

Then, just as the game looked to be drifting away from the Terriers, cometh the hour, cometh the man and Martin McIntosh?s last gasp equaliser sent the fans on their short journey home reasonably happy.
McIntosh was delighted to have opened his account for his new club and told the ?Huddersfield Examiner? after the match ? ‘I was delighted we finally got something out of this game and Saturday is now a must-win match for us. That’s something the gaffer has already stressed and, if we go about it in the right way, I’m sure we will win.’

Let?s hope so Martin, let?s hope so. Six points out of 24 is relegation form and if this dreadful spell were to continue unchecked for the remainder of this month, it would make automatic promotion look like a distant dream.

Share this article